Digital Tools for Literacy, Numeracy, SESE and Assessment
This innovative online Summer course has been developed to promote the effective integration of digital tools into teaching, learning and assessment practices. The course aims to increase the teacher’s awareness of best practice in utilising the most up to date digital tools in a number of curricular areas in order to effectively meet the broad range of learning needs of all students. Collaboration and the sharing of knowledge will be a key element of this course, and opportunities will be provided for teachers to share apps, websites and practices with their colleagues. The course content has been designed with the modern classroom in mind, making full use of the experiences gained during remote and blended learning, and bringing them forward in to the ‘new normal’ classroom.
- Introduction to the most effective websites and apps to support teaching, learning and assessment in the classroom, taking account of class level suitability.
- Engage in activity based learning by using the digital bookmarking tool symbaloo, adding webmixes and tiles and exploring resources available.
- Explore the Epic library, reading an online book, completing a quiz, favourite and save a book to their library.
- Use literacy, numeracy, SESE and assessment apps and websites to support learning of pupils with SEN in their contexts.
- Use the screen recording tool “Loom” to create resources and lessons to support students at school.
- Introduction to how G-Suite could be utilised in a whole school context, and explore Google Drive, Draw, Docs, Slides.
- Explore numeracy websites and resources including Khan academy and Geogebra.
- Explore digital tools for assessment and how Mentimeter, Seesaw and Socrative can be utilised as assessment tools throughout all levels of the school.
- Adding Chrome extensions to a browser: Google dictionary, Rememberry, Read and Write for Google, Post to Seesaw. Exploration of appropriate SESE websites and apps to aid student’s independent research skills.
The course will be taking place via Zoom Meetings over 5 days from 9:30am-2:00pm
on Thursday 1st - Wednesday 7th July, and is eligible for EPV days. Fee: €50 (non-refunfable).
The aim of our tutor team is to make the course as interactive and as close to face to face delivery as possible, and we will be using new video conferencing equipment to ensure a high level of interaction involving feedback, engagement, discussion and Q & A sessions. There will be a strong emphasis on fun throughout the week involving icebreakers, Kahoot quizzes for revision and virtual coffee breaks to encourage discussion and chat.